Home Golf Denny McCarthy walks out after testing positive for COVID-19 at PGA event

Denny McCarthy walks out after testing positive for COVID-19 at PGA event

10
0



American Denny McCarthy Tested positive for COVID-19 Friday in the PGA Travelers Championships, becoming the third golfer to contract the deadly virus since the tour resumed play. McCarthy, 27, from a suburb of Washington, was pursuing his first goal PGA The title, pulled out before noon in the second round at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Connecticut. McCarthy fired a sub-67 shot in the opening round on Thursday and told the phone official that symptoms developed after his first round. “I felt really sore and tired after the tour,” McCarthy told Golf Channel. “I didn’t think much about it because I trained a lot from Monday to Wednesday.”

But when he woke up in the night and stayed sore, McCarthy said he thought it would be best to get tested before going to the course on Friday.

“I woke up in the middle of the night and my body was really sore and aching and I found out something was wrong,” he said.

With the test, McCarthy joined the group of COVID-19 players that includes fellow countrymen Nick Watney, who tested positive last week in South Carolina, and Cameron Champ, who tested positive on Tuesday in River Highlands.

Caddies for Brooks Koepka and Graeme McDowell also tested positive this week in Connecticut, leading players to withdraw from the event after close contact with Bagmin in practice rounds.

McCarthy’s first-round partners, American Bud Cauley and England’s Matt Wallace, both tested negative for coronavirus on Friday, according to Golf Channel, but they made different decisions about the event.

Cooley, who opened with 69, withdrew from the Travelers because he was “only cautious, not because of a positive test”.

Wallace, who opened in the 70’s, started on schedule and opened evenly on the first hole.

McCarthy has been placed in quarantine until he decides where he wants to isolate for at least 10 days under the proven PGA Tour safety protocol to allow the tour to return earlier this month after a three-month coronavirus shutdown.

McCarthy was 66th at the Colonial two weeks ago in the PGA comeback event and last week missed the Heritage Championship.

World number one Rory McIlroy described the idea of ​​closing the event or resuming the season due to some positive tests as “ridiculous”.

Promotion

“You hear one or two tests positive and people are in a panic, and I saw two calls to close the tournament, which in my view is ridiculous,” he said on Thursday.

“Nearly 3,000 tests have been done. The percentage of positive tests is less than a quarter of a percent. I think overall, it’s going really well.”

Topics mentioned in this article

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here