After tested positive for COVID-19 last week, Formula 1 superstar Lewis Hamilton says he’s feeling better – but that’s after he experienced what he described as “one of the hardest weeks I’ve had in some time.”
Despite testing negative several times before the Bahrain Grand Prix – a race that Hamliton won last weekend in November – the 35-year-old driver woke up on November 30 with mild symptoms and then tested positive for coronavirus, said his Mercedes team in a statement. Hamilton said he immediately began isolating for 10 days and as a result missed Sunday’s Sakhir Grand Prix.
“I’m really lucky I’m fine with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy,” Hamilton wrote in a social media post December 1st.
Since then, it has seven times F1 champion – which is already unlocked his record-breaking seventh title last month – had not posted anything to his normally active Instagram and Twitter pages until Tuesday when he delivered a positive update on his recovery. This time he was on video and he said he hopes to be able to compete in F1’s season finale in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.
Love and appreciate you all🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/Y4qs5sYlYg
Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) December 8, 2020
“I know I have not been in contact in the last week, but it has certainly been one of the most difficult weeks I have had in some time. And just focused on getting myself and trying to get back in shape so I can get back in the car and drive the last race in Abu Dhabi.
“I woke up today and felt great and got my first workout in, so I just wanted to send you a message of positivity, let me know that I’m fine. And thank you to each and every one of you for posting the amazing messages and videos. And I really appreciate it.
“I hope wherever you are, you stay positive and fight through what you face. And I hope I get back in the car soon. And yes, I send you love. ”