Luis de la Fuente, U21 coach in Spain and for the upcoming Olympic Games in July, released his team to travel to Tokyo on Tuesday. Since then, it has caused quite a stir in the Barcelona camps. Reports show that there is excitement in the club about Pedri Gonzalez’s inclusion on the list.
Pedri enjoyed a magnificent debut season with Barcelona in 2020-21 and is has a star campaign in the euros with Spain’s senior squad and grabbed all the headlines so far. After playing 52 games for Blaugrana last season it seems there is no respite for the talented teenager.
Luis de la Fuente has also included another Barcelona star in Oscar Mingueza in the team, but Pedri’s choice worries many because of the great effort he has been through after a tiring season and played continuously over the course of the euro. Barcelona are ready to start their pre-season in July and Pedri will be in Tokyo at the end of that month, which has led to speculation that the club have asked RFEF (Spanish Football Federation) not to let Pedri play and give him rest.
However, the Olympic coach sees no cause for concern when he told Cadena SER Sparret: “I talked to all the players who were probably selected, and they all conveyed to me the idea that their dream was to be at the Olympics.”
“At this point, I have no evidence that Barcelona will ask RFEF not to take part in the Olympics. I do not know,” he added about the above reports.
“I’m sure Barcelona will not ban Pedri from playing in the Olympics. We are not clowns, we do not take risks, ” he said, noting how much the Canarian midfielder has put his body through recently.