Birmingham, Ala. (July 12, 2021) —– The 2021 Major League Baseball draft concluded on Tuesday with 15 players from the Southeast Conference selected by 13 different teams. A total of 67 players were selected from the SEC during the three-day draft.
Each SEC school had at least one player drafted, including players from 10 different schools in the first three rounds. Arkansas led the way with nine picks, South Carolina had eight, and Florida, Tennessee and Vanderbilt had seven.
Of the 30 major league clubs, 26 former players have drafted at least one into the SEC. The Los Angeles Angels and Florida Marlins drafted five SEC players, and the Washington Nationals and Cleveland Indians drafted four.
Four SEC pitchers were selected in the first 19 selections of the draft on Sunday. Vanderbilt’s Jack Leiter was the first SEC player to be selected with the second overall selection by the Texas Rangers. Teammate Kumar Rucker was placed 10th overall by the New York Mets, followed by Will Bednar of Mississippi State by the San Francisco Giants in the 14th pick and Ole Miss Gunnar Hoglund with the 19th pick by the Toronto Blue Jays.
48 SEC players drafted on Tuesday, which included Rounds 2-10. The 2021 MLB Draft consisted of 20 rounds.
SEC in the 2021 MLB Draft
2. Jack Leiter, Texas Rangers (Vanderbilt)
10 – Kumar Rucker, New York Mets (Vanderbilt)
14 – Will Bednar, San Francisco Giants (Mississippi)
19. Gunnar Hoglund, Toronto Blue Jays (Ole Miss)
40. Judd Fabian, Boston Red Sox (Florida)
42. Ryan Bliss, Arizona Diamondbacks (Auburn)
44- Jaden Hill, Colorado Rockies (LSU)
58. Doug Nikhazy, Cleveland Indians (Ole Miss)
Competitive Balance Round B
66- Peyton Wilson Kansas City Royals (Alabama)
69- Tommy Mays, Cleveland Indians (Florida)
74. Dylan Smith, Detroit Tigers (Alabama)
76 – John Rhodes, Baltimore Orioles (Kentucky)
80. Landon Marceaux, Los Angeles Angels (LSU)
99. Kevin Cobbs, San Diego Padres (Arkansas)
110. Luke Murphy, Los Angeles Angels (Vanderbilt)
112- Dustin Sainz, Washington native (Texas A&M)
113- Bryce Miller, Seattle Mariners (Texas A&M)
118. Tanner Allen, Miami Marlins (Mississippi State)
121- Chad Dallas, Toronto Blue Jays (Tennessee)
123- Christian Franklin Chicago Cubs (Arkansas)
125- Ryan Webb, Cleveland Indians (Georgia)
136- Nathan Hickey, Boston Red Sox (Florida)
139- Eric Cerantola, Kansas City Royals (Mississippi State)
141- Brett Kerry, Los Angeles Angels (South Carolina)
142- Christian Scott, New York Mets (Florida)
149- Brady Allen, Miami Marlins (South Carolina)
150- Thomas Farr, Cincinnati Reds (South Carolina)
154- Liam Spence, Chicago Cubs (Tennessee)
158. CJ Rodriguez, Oakland A’s (Vanderbilt)
159. Christian MacLeod, Minnesota Twins (Mississippi State).
160. Max Ferguson, San Diego Padres (Tennessee)
164- Chase Lee, Texas Rangers (Alabama)
179. Sam Brightor, Miami Marlins (Alabama)
183- Richard Fitts, New York Yankees (Auburn)
185. Taylor Broadway, Chicago White Sox (Ole Miss)
197. Connor Pavolony, Baltimore Orioles (Tennessee)
201. Ryan Costio, Los Angeles Angels (Arkansas)
203- Jacob Young, a native of Washington (Florida)
216- Jack Liftwich, Cleveland Indians (Florida)
219- Jake Rucker, Minnesota Twins (Tennessee)
233. Will Frizzell, Washington Nationals (Texas A&M)
244- Casey Opitz, Chicago Cubs (Arkansas)
251- Patrick Wicklander, Tampa Bay Rays (Arkansas)
252- Ben Harris, Los Angeles Dodgers (Georgia)
256- Tyler Miller, Boston Red Sox (Auburn).
267- Brannon Jordan, Milwaukee Brewers (South Carolina)
282- Lael Lockhart Los Angeles Dodgers (Arkansas).
285. Austin Schultz, Detroit Tigers (Kentucky)
288. Hugh Fisher, Arizona Diamondbacks (Vanderbilt)
291- Andrew Peters, Los Angeles Angels (South Carolina).
297. Wes Clark, Milwaukee Brewers (South Carolina)
306- Franco Aleman, Cleveland Indians (Florida).
322- Rudy Jordan, New York Mets (Mississippi)
344- Jackson Leith, Texas Rangers (Tennessee)
389. Chandler Joswiak, Miami Marlins (Texas A&M)
407- Danielle Lloyd, Baltimore Orioles (South Carolina)
409- Caden Monkey, Kansas City Royals (Arkansas)
410- Tyler Ras, Colorado Rockies (Alabama)
419- Holt Jones Jr., Miami Marlins (Kentucky).
476- Julian Bosnich, San Francisco Giants (South Carolina)
515. Jason Gonzalez, Chicago White Sox (Vanderbilt)
533- Stephen Williams, Washington Nationals (Auburn)
560. Elijah Trest, Colorado Rockies (Arkansas)
564- Charlie Welch, Seattle Mariners (Arkansas)
565. Abdullah Muhammad Ali Hassan.
573- Dominic Keegan, New York Yankees (Vanderbilt)
581- Sean Hunley, Tampa Bay Rays (Tennessee)